|Greetings, students! We’re geared up here to offer another round of epic internship experiences in summer 2017. The internship program offers the opportunity to pause your studies for one summer and work side-by-side with Blizzard employees in your area of interest, doing real work that oftentimes ends up in production. As such, we hold you to the same high standards as anybody else in the company.
Just like our gameplay experiences, Blizzard internships are a fully immersive experience. We want interns who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute in this hyper-creative atmosphere. Being fully engaged with our team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind – one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest!
The Blizzard vault team is seeking a highly organized library science graduate student to assist with the day-to-day activities of the library, as well as on-going projects within the archive. The vault team provides outstanding customer service and daily access to research materials to support creative inspiration, aid in production, and enhance professional development for all employees. In addition, the archive is dedicated to the care and preservation of the company’s history and culture in the forms of concept art, sculpture, textiles, legacy games, company documents, storyboard, fan art, and much more. You will work directly with the librarian / archivist while providing support for all campus employees.
As an intern, you will have the opportunity to potentially work on a variety of projects relating to Blizzard Entertainment. In addition, you will get a chance to work on tasks you may not see in a traditional library / archive setting such as rehousing of oversized ogre clubs, preservation of dragon statues, and the creation of metadata for video game concept art. The library is a center point at Blizzard used by employees for growth and learning and of course for fun and relaxation (our custom designed RPG table gets daily use). As an intern, you will join the small team of professionals that work to maintain and grow the library and archive.
- Support the day-to-day activities of the on-campus library (circulation, retrieval, cataloging, reference services, collection development, and systems cleanup).
- Assist and gain hands-on experience in the arrangement of physical archival collections, preservation techniques, sorting, handling, identification, rehousing, and digitization of a variety of materials.
- Assist with the development of our in-house DAM system.
- Assist in the creation of metadata for a large and continuously growing digital archive.
- Assist with the organization of controlled vocabulary terms unique to Blizzard games.
Intern Guild Requirements
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more semester or quarter following the Summer 2017 internship
- Able to work fulltime hours for 11 – 12 weeks at the Blizzard office indicated in this job posting between May 22, 2017 – August 11, 2017 or June 12, 2017 – September 1, 2017 (group dates depend on when you get out of school)
- Authorized to work in the US
- Current MLIS graduate student
- Experience in dabbling in the Information Sciences
- Ability to relate your librarianship training / education and flexibly apply it in a game industry setting.
- Understanding of traditional and digital archiving approaches
- Having knowledge of our Blizzard universe can be helpful, but is not required.
WARNING! Applications that do not include all of the required materials will not be considered. We’re serious about this – due to the volume of applications we receive, we only have time to consider complete submittals.