Approximate Date of Posting: January 20, 2017
Position: Remote Manuscript Archive Intern
Location: Springfield, Illinois (Remote) Abrahma Lincoln Presidential Library
Schedule/Hours To be arranged/flexible
Time Frame: Negotiable/ Can begin at any time. At least 3 weeks
Source: Archives Gig
The Manuscripts Department of the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library is seeking interns to work remotely. Remote interns for the Manuscripts Department will gain experience with archival arrangement and description through migrating finding aids for the unit’s collections to Archon, an online content management tool. Interns will work with the Manuscripts Curator to receive guidance and training on Archon, ALPLM’s collections, and archival principles. Interns will not be required to commute or relocate.
Remote interns will be assigned finding aids which they will migrate to Archon from word docs. They will be responsible for timely and accurate entry into the online records. Interns will be required to meet (via Skype or phone call) with the Manuscripts Curator weekly and be accessible via email throughout the duration of the internship.
The duration of this internship is to be negotiated with the library based on the needs of the intern and the Manuscripts Department, but must be at least three weeks. If interns are seeking university credit, the duration of their internship will be set to allow for the correct number of hours needed.
- This internship is unpaid.
- Interns can begin at any time.
- Interns may receive college credit for their work.
- The library will not provide assistance for the intern’s internet bill.
Applicants must include the following in their application.
- A completed copy of the Intern Application Form signed by an adviser
- A resume
- 2 letters of recommendation
- College transcript
- Letter of interest including personal goals, expectations of intern experience, relation of the internship to career plans, what the applicant believes they will contribute to the Library, and any special interests or abilities.
- Anticipated availability
Eligible applicants should:
- Be currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of an ALA-accredited library science program
- Have some experience using Archon or another content management system such as ArchivesSpace or Archivist’s Toolkit
- Be familiar with principles of archival arrangement and description
- Have access to a computer and the Internet
Email email@example.com to apply or for more information.