Approximate Date of Posting: January 21, 2017
Position: Digital Archives Intern
Location: Federal Way, WA
Company/Organization Pacific Bonsai Museum
Schedule/Hours 120 hours. The intern is expected to work a minimum of 12 hours a week. The hours can be scheduled between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Time Frame: uspecified
Compensation: $15.00 ph
This internship provides a unique educational opportunity to students who have an interest in archives, library science, material culture, collections, and public history and/or museum studies to engage in a digitization project. The intent of this internship is to introduce the student to all aspects of creating digital collections, including the handling of materials, scanning, image processing, and the description of materials, while working within the structure of a collections database. The intern has a chance to develop skills with a variety of applications used in the process of creating a digital collection which will allow PBM staff, scholars and the general public to access these records. The intern serves under the primary supervision of the curator, and will also work with the staff of PBM.
- Learn how to scan photographic negatives, slides, and a variety of print materials
2.Learn how to use PBM’s collection management software (CollectionSpace)
- Learn how to catalogue and link images to individual collection records within the framework of PBM’s collection policy.
- Assist with the digitization of collection records data into the CollectionSpace database.
- Assist with the creation of a digitization procedures manual to be used by PBM staff and volunteers.
Required Background and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and learn to use computer technology and hardware.
- Accuracy of work and strong attention to detail.
- Dependability, a sense of responsibility.
- Self motivated the ability to work independently and on a team.
- Excellent communications skills, verbal and written.
Desired Background and Qualifications
- Strong computer skills, including familiarity with digital imaging
- Experience with collections management software and best museum practices
- Familiarity with internet and web technologies, such as WordPress.
The intern must be able to sit at the computer desk for extended periods (1‐4 hours) using a keyboard and a mouse and focus on detail oriented tasks, such as data entry.
Equipment to be used: Personal computer, film scanner, flatbed scanner. Software: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, CollectionSpace, WordPress.
Terms of Internship: The length of the internship is 120 hours. The intern is expected to work a minimum of 12 hours a week. The hours can be scheduled between 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Consideration of candidates will continue until a suitable candidate is found.
Compensation: $15.00 per hour
To apply: Please email a cover letter, résumé, unofficial transcripts, and 2 recent
Deadline: Consideration of candidates will continue until a suitable candidate is found.