Approximate Date of Posting February 17, 2017
Position: Library Intern
Location: Arlington, Virginia Various Arlington locations
Company/Organization Arlington Virginia Libraries
Schedule/Hours , full-time,
Time Frame one year preferred filing date of April 6, 2017
Most Internships will begin between
July 1, 2017 and September 1, 2017*
Compensation: $15.12 – $29.80 Hourly All Management Interns are eligible for health, dental, and leave benefits
Source Archives Gig
Who we are?
Arlington County is an exciting, innovative local government entity located in Northern Virginia. We are seeking bright, highly motivated individuals who are seeking an exciting one year Management Internship in a variety of positions across the County. These positions offer a career opportunity to qualified individuals with little or no previous professional work experience helping them prepare for a career in a variety of fields of work. This Internship will offer new college graduates and currently enrolled graduate students with in-depth, hands-on learning opportunities in areas critical to supporting a local government structure.
What you will do?
Over the course of a year, Management Interns will work under the supervision of senior staff members to gain valuable on-the-job training and real-world work experience. They will support the County’s efforts to consistently work toward greater efficiency and effectiveness by offering improved processes and fresh ideas, and by leveraging smart technologies, while becoming familiar with the public sector work environment as a viable and fulfilling career path.
Who you are?
A recent (2016 or 2017) college graduate who has earned a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree OR is currently enrolled in a Master’s degree program or will complete the requirements for the Bachelor’s or Master’s degree before the starting date of work. Management Interns may not have professional work experience related to the internship. In addition, the successful candidate will also meet the following criteria:
- Willingness to explore and follow best practices;
- Self-motivated and a desire to excel;
- Excellent analytical, quantitative, and problem-solving abilities;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and/or tasks and easily switch focus as required;
- Ability to research and understand technical documentation;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills – ability to interact effectively with many levels of staff and to express ideas articulately, verbally, and in writing to a variety of audiences;
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong organizational and planning skills; and
- Strong customer service skills.
- Department of Libraries (LIB) (2 positions)
- LIB Center for Local History.This intern will participate in local history/archival activities, including reference, education, and outreach, to gain a comprehensive overview of the operation of a local history collection and community archives; will provide administrative support for oral history project; will collaborate with team on various digital/physical projects and exhibits; provide social media outreach, including authoring original blog posts; and work at public service desk to answer reference/research questions from patrons. Location: Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy St., Arlington, VA.
- Lib Community Archives. Under guidance of a professional archivist, this Intern will work though all phases of processing an archival collection, beginning with accessioning, preserving, researching, arrangement and description, culminating in the creation of a finding aid; and will participate in activities pertaining to the local history collection and archives including projects both digital and physical, education and outreach. Location(s): Community Archives. N. 24th St., Arlington and Central Library, 1015 N. Quincy St., Arlington, VA.