Approximate Date of Posting February 17, 2017
Position: Audio Archives
Location: New York, New York
Company/Organization New York Public Radio
Schedule/Hours minimum of 35 hours per week
Time Frame June 5, – August 11, 2017
Compensation: $11.50 per hour
Source Archives Gig
Interns at NYPR are given a robust internship program with hands-on responsibilities. The goal of our internship program is to provide our interns with a substantive, meaningful work experience so that each intern concludes the internship period with demonstrable skills in his/her area of interest, plus knowledge of public radio, in general. The NYPR Radio Archives currently maintains a collection of more than 60,000 cataloged broadcast recordings dating from June 1927 to the present. These recordings cover the gamut of the station’s activities as one of the nation’s earliest public broadcasters.
This internship will provide an opportunity for a qualified student to collaborate with the Archives’ staff on several ongoing digitization and access projects. Over the course of the summer, the intern will learn the analog-to-digital transfer process, work within the Archives’ PBCore database, and help create content for the Archives’ website.
What your internship will entail:
- Hands on experience in archives management
- Learn analog-to-digital workflows for archival audio preservation
- Learn standards-based media cataloging
- Contribute to the archives social media presence: writing blog posts; curating Tumblr page.
- Cataloging broadcast material, cleaning and replacing tapes
- Duplicating and quality controlling CDs
- Reformatting archival recordings
- Assisting Archives staff in organizing holdings in the vault
- Identifying orphan materials <strong< strong=””></strong<>
- Excellent writing skills
- Be familiar with public radio
- Have an interest in audio archives
- Have some familiarity with audio formats
- Have some familiarity with the PBCore metadata schema
- Have a good sense of 20th century history
- Must be enrolled in an accredited library school or archives program to earn course credit
- Must be consistently available for a minimum of 35 hours per week
- Must have a proven willingness to learn new skills
For more information about our Internship Program please click here.
If you would like to be considered for this role you must submit:
Your completed online application, a recent copy of your resume, a cover letter expressing why you would like to join the team at NYPR.
New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
Deadline: March 24, 2017