Approximate Date of Posting: March 6, 2017
Position: Research Assistant
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Schedule/Hours: 10 hours per week
Time Frame: May 17, 2017 through August 4, 2017.
Source: Archives Gig
The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) in the South Carolina Department of Archives and History has one part-time, paid internship available for a graduate student interested in historic preservation and photograph and document digitization.
The research assistant will work with the SHPO’s Historic Properties Information Coordinator (archivist) to digitize legacy site cards from the SC Statewide Survey of Historic Properties. The research assistant will also work with the archivist to populate the South Carolina Historic Properties Record (SCHPR) with metadata from the digitized site cards. As the online database of SC historic properties, SCHPR will host digitized images and documents, born-digital records, and site metadata. Duties of the research assistant will include metadata entry and document and image scanning as well as other duties as assigned.
Preference will be given to masters’ students in the School of Library and Information Science’s Archival Studies and Preservation Management area of interest, but all are welcome to apply.
The position is up to 10 hours per week at a pay rate of $12/hour. The position is available May 17, 2017 through August 4, 2017.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must be proficient in a wide variety of computing applications and comfortable working with new or unfamiliar applications or systems.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must have knowledge of Microsoft Access.
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 25 lbs
- Familiarity with public history.
- Familiarity with databases and metadata practices.
- Familiarity with file naming conventions.
- Familiarity with archival collections in any format.
- Familiarity with digitization standards and practices.
To apply please send an email with your résumé attached to Morgan Jones-King (firstname.lastname@example.org). Along with your résumé, please provide a list of two professional references. This list should include the name, relationship, title, phone number, and email address of each reference. At least one of these references should be from a past employer/supervisor. Review of résumés will begin immediately.
Deadline: Preference will be given to résumés provided by March 24, 2017.