Approximate Date of Posting March 13, 2017
Position: Library Science Internship Position
Location: Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Time Frame Sept. 2017 – May 2018
Compensation: Paid w/ optional Free Housing
Source Lib Jobs Listserv
Longwood Gardens Library and Archives seeks a Library Science or Archival Studies (or equivalent) graduate student or recent graduate to gain experience in the operations and management of a special library and institutional archives. The program is open to students currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree- or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the United States or a student who has graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to his or her exchange visitor program begin date.
The intern is immersed in each section of the unit—Library, Digital Gallery, and Archives. He/she works on a variety of assigned projects as part of a team to achieve the unit’s goals in supporting Longwood Gardens’ mission. Currently, unit goals are focused on developing robust intellectual control and access across all collections.
Position is available: Sept. 2017 – May 2018
Application Deadline: May 1, 2017. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Located in Kennett Square, PA, Longwood Gardens is approximately 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
* Arrange and describe archival collections, develop finding aids, and make recommendations regarding storage, conservation and preservation treatment of archival materials in various formats, including born-digital records.
* Perform basic administrative level tasks in Digital Asset Management System (Asset Bank), including scanning, uploading, editing, training patrons, and supervising volunteer projects.
* Assist with cataloging of library materials and the strategic initiative to improve Authorities control in the EOS ILS.
* Assist in cataloging materials including object collections and digital assets.
* Assist in Records Management functions, including accessioning new records and ensuring timely destruction of expired materials.
* Perform basic reference interviews and services as well as circulation maintenance routines, such as check-in/check-out, shelve books and compile usage statistics.
* Perform routine environmental and pest monitoring in collection storage spaces.
* Assist with Interlibrary Loan tasks as needed.
* Perform various daily administrative and technical tasks.
* Participate in Longwood student/intern activities and all required student/intern work projects
Applicants must be active and ambitious learners and are expected to strive for efficiency and a high level of quality in all tasks performed. The willingness to follow all supervisor instructions and Longwood safety procedures is essential. Proof of proficiency in English is required from all applicants. A valid driver’s license written in English or an international driver’s license is preferred. Candidates must be independent-natured, able to perform repetitive tasks, and lift 50 lbs. Some weekend and evening hours might be required.
* Be pursuing or have recently completed a graduate program in Library Sciences or Archival Management studies.
* Be able and willing to work independently.
* Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to deal with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner.
* Have physical ability to push fully-loaded book carts and handle heavy or oversize volumes. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
* Be willing to follow all of Longwood Gardens’ policies and procedures.
* Have a valid driver’s license.
The position extends throughout 9 months, full time, 40 hours per week. This is a paid position with optional free housing provided. Longwood Gardens offers a mandatory medical insurance plan (does not include dental or eye care) to all International Program participants. All Internationals are required to have health insurance coverage.
For more information on housing, student activities, hours and wages, see https://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-for-us-students/student-housing-benefits .
Send any questions or requests for further information to EDU-Studies@longwoodgardens.org
Deadline: All application material must be received by May 1, 2017