Approximate Date of Posting March 13, 2017
Position: Library and Information Services
Location: Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Company/Organization Longwood Gardens
Time Frame Year Long
Compensation: Paid w/ optional Free Housing
Source Lib Jobs Listserv
Interns work in each section of the unit—Library, Digital Gallery, and Archives—to develop projects aimed at furthering the professional interests of the student while working to achieve unit strategic goals. This is a full-time, 12-month position.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform basic reference interviews and services. Become familiar with, and able to train others in, using Library, Archives, and Digital Asset Management systems, including EOS International integrated library system (ILS), Cuadra STAR Knowledge Center for Archives, and Asset Bank.
- Arrange and describe archival collections, develop finding aids, and make recommendations regarding storage, conservation and preservation treatment of archival materials in various formats, including born-digital records.
- Perform basic administrative level tasks in Digital Asset Management System (Asset Bank), including scanning, uploading, editing, training patrons, and supervising volunteer projects.
- Perform circulation maintenance routines, such as check-in/check-out, shelve books and compile usage statistics.
- Perform routine environmental and pest monitoring in collection storage spaces.
- Assist and train patrons in the use of computers and software, A/V equipment, and copier.
- Assist in cataloging materials (including object collections and digital assets).
- Assist in Records Management functions, including accessioning new records and ensuring timely destruction of expired materials.
- Assist with Interlibrary Loan tasks as needed.
- Assist with capturing oral history interviews.
- Perform various daily administrative and technical tasks.
- Be pursuing or have recently completed a Master’s of Science in Library Science (MLS) or related equivalent.
- Be able and willing to work independently.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to deal with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner.
The position extends throughout 12 months, full time, 40 hours per week. This is a paid position with optional free housing provided. Longwood Gardens offers a mandatory medical insurance plan (does not include dental or eye care) to all International Program participants.
For more information on housing, student activities, hours and wages, see https://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-for-us-students/student-housing-benefits .
Send any questions or requests for further information to EDU-Studies@longwoodgardens.org
Apply online here:
May 1 for September internships
February 1 for May and June internships
Openings may exist after the application due dates. Please call 610.388.5401 for current openings
Contact: Domestic & International Studies Coordinator
PO Box 501
Kennett Square, PA 19348-0501 USA