Approximate Date of Posting: March 8, 2017
Position: Library Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Company/Organization National Geographic
Schedule/Hours: Part-Time 28 hours per week
Time Frame: June 5, 2017 – August 11, 2017
Source: National Geographic Society
The intern for the National Geographic Library will gain valuable work experience, see how a small, non-profit special library operates, and participate behind the scenes at one of the world’s most respected and recognized organizations. The NG Library serves the staff at National Geographic, and maintains book, periodical, map, and electronic resource collections.
Five Principal Learning Responsibilities
- Learn how to plan and implement the upgrade / redesign of a library website (40%)
- Assist in curating digital resources and enhancing digital collections (20%)
- Gain exposure to collection management and development in a special library setting (15%)
- Hone research and reference skills on topics related to National Geographic, its history, and its interests (15%)
- Create training or marketing materials and programming for library outreach (10%)Related Field of Study Required
Applicant should be currently pursuing an MLS or related graduate level work in library science, knowledge management, archival processing/cataloging, archival management or related field.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Strong attention to detail along with excellent communication, organizational and computer skills.
- Familiarity with digital libraries / digital collections, Springshare Libguides, library ILS systems, database searching, HTML, MARC cataloging, Camtasia software
- Enthusiasm and an interest in the Society’s mission, products, and events
Candidate must be enrolled at an accredited College or University at the time of application.
Deadline: Deadline to apply is April 21, 2017
Offers will go out no later than May 12, 2017