Approximate Date of Posting
Position: ARCHIVAL INTERNSHIP
Location: Laurel, Maryland
Are you looking for an exciting internship that will provide you with the skills necessary to help you obtain full-time archival employment? If so, the Newseum’s Archival Internship at our Laurel, MD location is for you!
The Newseum, a revolutionary 250,000-square-foot museum that promotes, explains and defends free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment, offers visitors an experience that blends five centuries of history with technology and hands-on exhibits. At the Newseum, we pride ourselves on creating up-to-the minute exhibits and actively collecting modern and historic print news materials. As a Newseum intern you will work with our 35,000 piece historic print news collection at our support center in Laurel, Maryland.
Schedule/Hours: Part or Full Time- Internship hours are flexible and can be arranged to fit individuals’ schedules
Time Frame Summer 12 weeks
Source Archives Gig https://archivesgig.wordpress.com/2017/03/23/laurel-md-summer-archives-internship-newseum/
Intern responsibilities will include assisting the Print News Archivist with the following tasks:
- Preparing newspapers or magazines for an upcoming exhibition will comprise a significant portion of this internship. Must be comfortable handling print news materials and learning to encapsulate them using microchamber board and Melinex.
- Processing and potential original cataloging of historic newspapers and magazines, depending upon the launch date of our new database. Researching, identifying and documenting important news events appearing in print news items.
- Retrieving and re-shelving archival materials, including the frequent handling and carrying of 20-40 lb. newspaper boxes.
- Candidates should be currently enrolled in or should have recently finished a museum-related, library science-related, or archival-related graduate or undergraduate program, with an interest in collections/archival work.
- Excellent computer skills and accuracy in spelling and database entry.
- Solid historical research skills and broad knowledge of, and interest in, U.S. and world history.
- The ability to frequently lift and carry 20-40 lb. boxes and lift, reach, and bend with ease.
- Must have dependable transportation to our Laurel, MD facility.
Application Process PPlease send your cover letter, resume, and two references to:
Human Resources Department
555 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20001
Deadline: April 12, 2017