Approximate date of posting April 5, 2017
Position: Digital Archives Internship
Location: Washington, D.C.
Company/Organization Smithsonian Zoo
Schedule/Hours Full or Part-Time
Time Frame Summer or fall sessions (June through Aug. and Sept. through Dec.).
Compensation: $600 per week for a full-time 10-week internship. If a candidate prefers a part-time internship, the rate will be adjusted accordingly. A one-time allowance for round-trip travel to/from D.C. may be authorized.
Source UMD Discussion List
Under the mentorship of both the Smithsonian Libraries Branch Librarian for the National Zoo and the Zoo’s Manager of Interpretive Information, the selected intern will:
- Further his/her skills in digital archives and develop user-based solutions to information access challenges.
- Learn how Zoo staff use the digital collection as a resource, and design and implement a digital archive data management infrastructure.
- Learn about formal and informal interpretive educational programs for visitors.
- Have the opportunity to work with staff across the Zoo and Smithsonian Libraries, attend events and lectures to enhance learning, and have time for informational interviews with staff across the Smithsonian.
- Develop skills related to digital archive management and the creation of information architectures for existing digital collections.
- Apply his/her understanding of common standards to collections and digital content.
- Strengthen his/her knowledge of zoological, museum and library collections.
- Develop an understanding of species taxonomy and content organization within a zoological institution.
- Master’s candidate (or recent graduate school graduate) in library or information science, archives or a related field
- Strong understanding of the principles of digital archives, information architecture and/or database management
- Preference will be given to an applicant with an interest in biology, zoology or natural history
How to Apply:
To apply, visit: https://solaa.si.edu/solaa/SOLAAHome.html and select “New to SOLAA? Create Account Here.” Complete the information to create an account.
Information that will be requested (in SOLAA) includes:
- Basic personal information
- Professional resume or CV
- A one-page statement of your interest in pursuing this position. The statement should mention relevant experience, career goals, your reasons for wanting this internship and what you hope to gain from the experience. This statement is very important during application evaluations.
- Unofficial college or university transcripts (graduate and undergraduate) and current academic status
- Degrees held or expected
- Two letters of reference (one must be from a current or a former supervisor) or contact information for references
- Schedule of availability
Once you have created your account and provided the above information, you will be prompted to select the type of appointment you are interested in. You will select:
- Type of appointment: “Internship”
- Unit of interest: “National Zoological Park”
- Program: “National Zoological Park Internship Program”
- Project: “Rock Creek-Digital Archives”
IMPORTANT: Your application is considered complete when you hit “Submit.” Your SOLAA submitted application with references must be received by the deadlines as noted above.
Deadline: Monday, May 15, 2017