Approximate Date of Posting: April 8, 2017
Position: Summer Library Assistants &Library Assistant-Youth And Family
Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Company/Organization Chapel Hill Public Library
The Chapel Hill Public Library is a future-focused, user-centric organization, dedicated to the concept of continual improvement. We are re-imagining both our role in the community and our approach to serving it, guided by our Service Pledge to provide friendly, helpful, responsive, and engaged service to our community whenever, wherever, and whyever they choose to visit us.
Schedule/Hours: 20 hours per week- May require regular weekend and evening hours.
Time Frame: 12 week duration (late May to mid-August).
Compensation $14.05 – $22.76 Hourly
The Chapel Hill Public Library is recruiting for 3 service-oriented Library Experiences Assistants to serve in the Library Experiences Division during the summer months. The Library Experiences Division joins the forces of Circulation, Reference, Readers’ Services, and Materials Handling into a unified, dynamic unit, staffed by an amazing team that provides superior customer service to the Chapel Hill community.
- Provide outstanding customer service in person, on the phone, and online. Initiate contact with customers, provide helpful, friendly, knowledgeable service, take ownership of completing transactions & resolving problems, communicate effectively.
- Help customers discover materials, both in house and online. May include checking in/shelving materials, processing/mending materials, merchandising collections, creating written content, etc.
- Help people navigate library services. May include helping with patron registration & accounts, maintaining catalog records, resolving routine problems with library equipment & services, providing instruction or recommendations, etc.
- Assist with library and/or Town programs, promotions, and initiatives. This may include leading a story time, coordinating a book group, assisting with launch of new service, contributing to social media, serving on a library or Town-wide committee, etc.
- Performs other tasks as required.
- Town and Library policies and procedures
- Library materials and availability
- Online resources
- Microsoft Office suite
- Desktop PCs and mobile devices.
- Positively interact with a diverse clientele
- Interpret and communicate library policies and procedures
- Accomplish detail-oriented tasks
- Solve problems and make sound decisions
- Model the Town VALUES of RESPECT
An equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
Minimum one year experience in a customer service environment required. Library or bookstore experience preferred.
Deadline: April 20, 2017