Approximate Date of Posting: 05/26/2017
Position: Special Collections Technical Services
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Company/Organization University of Nevada Las Vegas
As a strong partner in student learning, UNLV Libraries fosters critical thinking and lifelong learning with innovative services, entrepreneurial staff, outstanding digital collections, up-to-date technology and internationally renowned Special Collections, including two research centers: the Center for Gaming Research and the Oral History Research Center. University Libraries is comprised of Lied Library and three branch libraries and we are a gateway to more than 20,000 electronic journals and 1.7 million books, including e-books. We welcome individuals with diverse backgrounds to join our growing organization of over 120 experienced faculty librarians and staff members supporting teaching, learning, research and creative endeavors at one of the nation’s fastest growing universities.
Schedule/Hours: Full Time
Time Frame: 2-year limited term position
Source: Higher Ed Jobs https://www.higheredjobs.com/details.cfm?JobCode=176495457&utm_source=05_27_17&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=JobAgentEmail
porting to the Head, Special Collections Technical Services for a two-year visiting appointment, the Visiting Special Collections Librarian is dedicated to improving access to and discovery of archival materials in Special Collections. This position will lead a team of part-time project staff who will be tasked with arranging and describing a backlog of archival collections in a variety of formats, including personal papers, institutional records, oral histories, and photographs. The incumbent will assist in teaching new staff efficient archival processing techniques and assist in training them in the use of ArchivesSpace. The incumbent will use data collected during a collection survey to create processing plans and determine the level of arrangement and description appropriate for each collection. The incumbent will oversee physical processing activities and perform quality assurance of finding aids prior to their publication online. The incumbent may have the opportunity to describe and arrange hybrid (print/digital) collections.
· ALA-accredited graduate degree in library or information science;
· Strong verbal and written communication skills;
· At least one year of full-time (or equivalent hours) experience arranging and describing archival materials;
· Demonstrated ability to make decisions based on professional principles, standards, and best practices;
· Demonstrated ability to quickly learn new concepts and technologies;
· Demonstrated ability to effectively work independently or as part of team;
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with diverse colleagues; and
· Evidence of energy, creativity, initiative, and commitment to professional growth.
· Supervisory or leadership experience;
· Experience creating metadata (EAD, MARC, DC) using library and archival descriptive standards (RDA, DACS) and controlled vocabularies (LCSH, LCNAF, AAT);
· Familiarity with archival collections management systems (such as Archives Space); and
· Demonstrated interest in, or familiarity with, trends in the stewardship of born-digital materials.
This is a full-time, visiting faculty, 2-year limited term position. The salary is $65,000/year. The position is contingent upon funding.
Submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references who may be contacted. Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based. Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates’ materials will begin on June 30, 2017 and best consideration will be gained for materials submitted prior to that date. Materials should be addressed to Visiting Special Collections Librarian, Search Committee Chair, and are to be submitted via on-line application at https://hrsearch.unlv.edu. For assistance with UNLV’s on-line applicant portal, contact UNLV Employment Services at (702) 895-3504 or firstname.lastname@example.org.