Approximate Date of Posting: May 2, 2017
Position: Library Intern
Location: New York, New York, (Manhattan)
Company/Organization Hospital for Special Surgery Medical Library
Schedule/Hours: The candidate would need to be able to commit a minimum of 10 hours a week during the duration of this internship. The schedule is somewhat flexible, but would prefer being able to work on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday afternoon.
Time Frame: Year round
Compensation Stipend/ $20.00 per day
Source: SLA NY
This internship opportunity is focused on the special project of editing metadata for the hospital’s digital archives. Duties includes assigning appropriate medical terminologies and organizing digital items in a database, following the supervision of the Archivist on site. You are responsible to find a good balance between library’s daily operation and your project so that the special project will be completed while you work with us.
- The library’s daily operation include the below but not limited to:
- Assist in interlibrary loan and document delivery (NLMs Docline)
- Assist HSS residents/fellows/staff in use of library resources
- -Including PubMed, Ovid, ClinicalKey, UpToDate and RefWorks
- Assist providing library orientations, instruction sessions, and various events
- Assist providing reference assistance
The opportunity is available to any Library Science student with an interest in medical libraries, but special consideration will be given to candidates with the following:
-Completion of coursework in Health Sciences Resources.
-Completion of coursework in basic Archives management
-Experience with Content Management Systems and/or web design.
-Previous library experience.
-Strong communication skills.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to the Medical Library at Medlib@hss.edu by May 19th (Friday), 2017 at 5 pm.