Approximate Date of Posting: 04/18/2017
Position: Reference Librarian Intern
Location: Hillsboro, Missouri
Company/Organization Jefferson College
Schedule/Hours: 16-19 hours per week
Time Frame: 08/14/2017 – 12/15/2017
Source: Provide library services at Jefferson College’s Hillsboro and Arnold campuses- including reference service, reserves and circulation, and assistance with library computers. Internship includes training and supervision by professional librarians, as well as the opportunity to create displays, assist faculty librarians in teaching library use instruction classes, and gain practical experience.
1. Provide reference service to Library patrons. Determine student, faculty or public information needs and select sources; refer questions to other library staff and supervisor as needed. Assist patrons in developing information search strategies for classroom or other research purposes.
2. Assist and instruct library patrons in locating information and in the use of Library resources, equipment and the internet.
3. Help with special projects as assigned, including opportunities to assist with bibliographic instruction, collection development, and the creation and maintenance of LibGuides.
4. Assist with technical services processes and functions.
5. Perform daily circulation desk operations, including: checking in and out library materials; providing student identification cards, creating and updating online patron registration records; reshelving materials; placing items on reserve and removing them from reserve; removing holds on student records in Banner;
6. Assist patrons with Library computer hardware and software.
7. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position: digital devices, OPAC , online ILS (Sierra), Banner, copier/scanner, databases, digital camera, card reader, online tools and software, word processing, e-mail, presentation software, Windows and Macintosh operating systems, database management, spreadsheets, and LibGuides.
Qualifications: Candidate will be currently enrolled in the MU or UMSL M- ISLT ( MLS ) program, with at least 12 credit hours completed.