Approximate Date of Posting: May 9, 2017
Position: Mary P. Key Diversity Resident
Eligibility Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited or equivalent program or relevant PhD completed by the time of appointment
Location: Columbus Ohio
Company/Organization Ohio State University Libraries
The University Libraries’ Mary P. Key Diversity Residency Program is one component of the Libraries’ commitment to diversity and is intended to increase the diversity of librarians at Ohio State and to further the growth and development of librarians.
Mary P. Key was an emerita Assistant Professor of the University Libraries. Before retiring from the Agriculture Library in 1998, she served as the first chair of the Diversity Committee, which oversaw the implementation of the Diversity Residency Program (from 1989-1998). She was the second African American Librarian to head a department at the Ohio State University Libraries. She received her MLS from Atlanta University (now Clark-Atlanta University). Mrs. Key passed away January 4, 2010 at the age of 80, but her legacy lives on with this important initiative.
Time Frame: 2 years
Compensation Salary is commensurate based on qualifications and experience
Source: Archvies Gig
The Ohio State University Libraries (OSUL) seeks a dynamic librarian for the position of Mary P. Key Diversity Resident. OSU Libraries’ two-year Mary P. Key Diversity Residency Program provides mentorship for a successful transition from academic training to research librarianship, provides hands-on exposure in many areas of the University Libraries, and contributes to advancing diversity initiatives for both the academic librarianship profession and The Ohio State University Libraries. The program provides professional development in a nurturing, yet productive, real-world environment at one of the top 10 public university libraries in the country. The Resident will be encouraged to participate in selected workshops, conferences, and committees and develop a robust portfolio of engagement at the start of their library career.
The Resident will serve as the Global Digital Humanities Librarian for the Research Services and Area Studies programs that lead the Libraries in creating new, engagement-centered research service models based in cross-university partnerships, user-oriented assessment, and long-standing success in advancing information literacy. As a member of the Research Services and Area Studies teams, the Resident will connect faculty and students in international and area studies departments with the Libraries’ growing digital humanities services through the Research Commons. The Resident will work collaboratively with colleagues across the Libraries to support this academic community throughout the research lifecycle from content generation/acquisition to data curation. The Resident will contribute to the Libraries’ ongoing efforts to deeply engage with and support digital humanities scholarship by acting as a liaison for multidisciplinary area studies research centers. Situated at the intersection of disciplines, resources, and services, this position will support the University’s efforts to create distinctive and internationally recognized scholarship and to facilitate knowledge exchange on a global scale. Reporting to the Digital Humanities Librarian, the Resident will enrich the Libraries’ support for the innovative research and teaching underway at one of the world’s most prominent research institutions.
• Serve as OSUL’s digital humanities liaison to relevant area studies departments and multidisciplinary research centers.
• Engage with area studies faculty and students to support digital humanities research and scholarship.
• Collaborate with library colleagues to develop and deliver instruction on digital humanities tools and methods.
• Collaborate with library colleagues in research services and area studies to promote digital humanities services that support research and research pedagogy.
• Hold regular office hours in the Area Studies department.
• Develop and strengthen partnerships between the Libraries and other University initiatives such as the Global Gateways Program and the Humanities and the Arts Discovery Theme.
• Serve on selected OSUL committees and work closely with the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
• Begin development of a research agenda that will contribute to an area of scholarship.
About the Appointment:
This is a full-time, two-year visiting faculty (non-tenure track) position. As a Visiting Faculty member, the Resident is strongly encouraged to engage in professional research and publication. The Resident will provide a faculty annual report as well as periodic reports to the Diversity Committee to track progress on established objectives. Salary is commensurate based on qualifications and experience
• Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited or equivalent program or relevant PhD completed by the time of appointment.
• Familiarity with current and emerging digital humanities tools and methods.
• Oral, written, and reading proficiency in a foreign language other than English.
• Experience using digital humanities tools and methods (e.g. text analysis, text encoding, GIS, database design, website development, minimal design).
• Project management experience.
• Understanding of the issues related to digital humanities work (e.g. infrastructure, collaborators’ rights, evaluation guidelines, sustainability issues).
• Understanding of the issues related to global digital humanities work (e.g. cultural sensitivities, cultural representation, foreign language special characters, etc.).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Preference will be given to applications received by June 4, 2017. Please send cover letter, CV, references, salary history and requirements to Patrick Schell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject field.
Contact Information: Patrick Schell, Human Resources, 1858 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, OH 43210, 614-292-5917.
Deadline: Preference will be given to applications received by June 4, 2017.