Approximate Date of Posting: Re-Advertised July 31, 2017
Position: Local History & Genealogy Intern
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Company/Organization Columbus Metropolitan Library – Main Library
Schedule/Hours: 20-24 hours weekly; Flexible schedule between 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. weekdays and/or Saturday
Time Frame: This is a temporary position
Compensation $13.10 ph
Description: This position serves to build the Local History and Genealogy programs by supporting staff in digitizing, creating metadata and processing of historical collections.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the library’s digitization efforts by creating descriptive information for digital images, scanning historical materials and editing images according to established standards.
- Assists library staff in doing accurate, in-depth research on historical topics.
- Assists with preservation efforts by maintaining Library collection by identifying and solving problems with Library materials; performing cleaning of Library materials; creating phase boxes for books, rehousing documents and placing photographs and slides into sleeves and creating finding aids for archival collections.
- Utilizes computer applications and Library equipment, maintains current knowledge of system wide and location specific procedures, processes, policies and operations. Utilizes e-mail, voicemail and other Library technology to maintain open channels of communication.
- Associate’s degree or one to three years’ of formal training beyond high school.
- Ability to express self effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to troubleshoot computer and office equipment.
- Acts with the customer in mind using information gained from interacting with the customers. Meets the expectations and requirements of external and internal customers. (Customer Focus)
HIGHLY PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Progress toward a degree in library science, history or related field.
- Experience in museum or library science program with emphasis in archival work.
- Knowledge of Internet and database services, and library digital software such as CONTENTdm or PastPerfect.
- Gathers information from appropriate sources and makes a decision. Considers data, analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment in making sound decisions. (Decision Quality)
- Proficient in the knowledge and skills required to perform the job at a high level of performance. (Functional/Technical Skills)
- Works hard and is energized by challenges. Seizes opportunities and acts upon them. (Action Oriented)
- Manages time effectively and efficiently. Focuses time and effort on priorities and across a range of activities. (Time Management)
- Works well with staff and volunteers to help maintain a cooperative work environment. (Peer Relationships)
The following is the common technology used in this position and is not all inclusive.
Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and other Library related software applications