Title 2018 Records Management Facilitators (Lead) -Hawaii
Approximate Date of Posting: August 9, 2017
Position: Records Management Facilitator
Special Requirements: Enrolled or recently graduated from an ALA accredited MLIS program or related graduate program.
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Company/Organization U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Marine Monuments of the Pacific Office
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Marine Monuments of the Pacific Office, located in Honolulu, Hawaii is looking for three Records Management Facilitators to assist in organizing our holdings. Our offices have extensive historical files spanning decades, which document the management, political history, and scientific research surrounding 22 national wildlife refuges and 4 marine national monuments throughout the Pacific. The collections consist of analog and digital records, maps, photographs, and other mixed media. Two interns will be stationed at the Honolulu office and one will be offsite on Kauai.
We are looking for conscientious, resourceful, and motivated information professionals to become our in-house experts. The records management facilitators will be responsible for following a records schedule, organizing and digitizing files, keeping a records inventory, and disposing of files accordingly. You will gain hands-on experience with electronic records, preservation, digitization, metadata, records management, and content management systems. You will also gain experience prioritizing tasks, collaborating with others, establishing guidelines, and training other staff in records management tasks. It will also be the responsibility of the lead to train the next rotation of Records Managers.
Many responsibilities of the rotation will be distributed between the interns. We are looking for a lead, a media-specialist, and a Kauai intern. The lead will prioritize the big-picture potential of the US Fish and Wildlife Service records room. For example, they will continue the goal of creating a sustainable filing system. They will also digitize and purge records, maintain the online catalog of US Fish and Wildlife Service references, and other tasks as needed. The tasks of the two Honolulu interns are not mutually exclusive but have been devised in order to make the most of a six month rotation.
Schedule/Hours: full-time (40 hrs./week)
Time Frame: A 6-month, Position begins between Jan. 8 and 12, 2018.
Compensation Employer will assist with relocation costs. The Service will provide roundtrip airfare to and from Honolulu, including reimbursement for luggage, if necessary. We also provide compensation for public transportation to and from work via reimbursement for the monthly bus pass.
Housing is provided at a communal agency bunkhouse, if needed. The bunkhouses can accommodate up to seven people in Honolulu
- Enrolled or recently graduated from an ALA accredited MLIS program or related graduate program.
- Ability to work independently and make well-researched decisions with limited supervision.
- Superb organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to recognize inefficiencies and recommend practical solutions.
- Ability to balance theory and idealism with fiscal and logistical limitations in a non-traditional information setting.
- Ability to use excel and Microsoft suite programs.
- Experience with archival content management platforms.
- Adhere to established guidelines and policies both professional and organizational.
- Work experience in archival science or records management.
- Experience with scanning equipment and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience with records retention and disposition schedules.
- An interest in environmental issues, biology, or conservation.
- Experience cataloging or working with metadata.
POC Rachel Jacobson at email@example.com
Marine National Monuments of the Pacific Office
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
300 Ala Moana Blvd., Suite 5-231
Honolulu, HI 96850
How to Apply To apply, send an attached resume and brief cover letter to Rachel Jacobson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please have the subject of the email state “RMF Lead Application”
Deadline: close of business September 8, 2017.