Approximate date of posting June 22, 2018
Position: School Library Intern/Media Specialist
Eligibility Minimum of an Associate’s Degree, Library Technology certificate preferred (completed or in progress)
Possess advanced computer skills, especially in MS Office
Location: Pasadena, California
Company/Organization Pacific Oaks College and Children’s School
Schedule/Hours part time (20 hours per week).
Time Frame Temporary
Compensation: monthly stipend
Description: This position is ideal for individuals seeking to develop skills and knowledge in the area of librarianship and information services. The Library Intern will receive training in providing
circulation, reference services and library instruction to the Pacific Oaks academic community. Additional tasks may include, but are not limited to: collection development, outreach, technical services, creation or maintenance of web-based content and participation in special projects. The individual will participate in the library’s information literacy program through orientations, library instruction classes/or workshops and creating subject or course specific library guides. The Library Intern is able to communicate and work effectively with a diverse campus population while also collaborating with faculty and staff.
This position is located at the Pasadena campus and requires evening and weekend coverage. This position is temporary part time (20 hours per week). The Library Intern reports directly to the Assistant Director of Library Services.
- Participate in circulation services, including checking library materials in and out, registering new users, shelving books, and basic electronic reserve processing
- Provide reference and APA citation services to students
- Design, create, and maintain web-based tools and services (tutorials, research guides, etc.) that meet the needs of the campus community based on departmental goals and objectives
- Participate in collection development duties such as receiving, processing, cataloging and routing of new monographic materials within the budget set by the Assistant Director of Library Services
- Participate in library and information literacy instruction to students, faculty and staff in both course-related instruction and subject-specific workshops on campus or virtually
- Participate in library orientations to the campus community
- Engage in outreach, promote library services and resources to users
- Participate in special projects, which may include: Special Collections, web design and development, or curriculum development
- Performs other duties as assigned