Approximate date of posting July 3, 2018
Position: Communication, Marketing & Library Internship
Eligibility Basic conversational French language skills are not necessary, but are a definite plus. Ability to translate French/English will be appreciated.
95 % of written/oral communications are in English
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Company/Organization Alliance Française de Chicago
The Alliance Française de Chicago is a non-profit organization. Located downtown, our mission is to be Chicago’s center of French language and French speaking cultures – to promote exchange, understanding, and friendship between Americans and French speaking people — including those from Europe, Canada, Africa, the Caribbean and the Middle East – a world of 220 million French speakers. Through study of another language and its associated cultures, we help to develop a global view of the world.
Schedule/Hours Full time (40 hours per week), mostly weekdays with occasional evenings or Saturdays.
Time Frame 6 months, preferably more. This internship will start in September
Compensation: A monthly stipend of $700 is available.
As Marketing-Communications and Library intern, your efforts will be integral to the success of communications, marketing, and event-related initiatives at our dynamic non-profit. Among the largest and most influential Alliances Françaises in the US – we offer a full menu of cultural programs, classes, and an outstanding library.
Reports to Brand Specialist and Library Director. 60% of the time is spent in Marketing-Communications and 40% of the time is supporting the Library.
You will join a team of professionals who are passionate about their mission to help people learn, explore, and connect with others – especially those who have an interest in France and Francophone cultures and communities. This is a great choice for a socially-engaged and energetic candidate; a proactive and detail-oriented person – one who is also comfortable with big-picture thinking – will enjoy the networking and other opportunities of this position.
Duties and responsibilities
External Communication :
- Creating original content for social media
- Drafting and editing marketing materials (press releases, e-newsletters, flyers and brochures)
- Updating the website
- Maintaining email lists
- Photographing events
- Maintaining a content schedule, and participating in marketing strategy meetings.
Events and Customer Service :
- Developing, promoting and supporting the library, conversation groups, and occasional library events
- Helping the Library Director with all the library events (set-up, recording and photographing events)
- Developing membership benefit activities
- Hosting a twice-monthly conversation group
- Social media savvy (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapshat…)
- Graphic design skills, especially experience with InDesign and Photoshop.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office products
- Strong English writing skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills to represent the Alliance to the public
- Interest in French and Francophone cultures
- Basic conversational French language skills are not necessary, but are a definite plus. Ability to translate French/English will be appreciated.
How to Apply Please send a resume/CV and a cover letter that includes your availability.
Please send a resume/CV and a letter of motivation that includes your availability to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the name of the internship in the subject line.