Approximate date of posting August 20, 2018
Position: Archives Internship-
Eligibility Some experience with handling and describing archival collections required
Demonstrated attention to detail and ability to complete large projects with a high degree of accuracy
Familiarity with AV formats preferred
Interest in the performing arts a plus
Location: New York
Company/Organization Lotus Music and Dance Lotus Music & Dance, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was founded in 1989 by master Bharata Natyam dancer Kamala Cesar. It is a performance space, sanctuary, and center of education for traditional and indigenous performing arts forms. The mission is to keep alive and accessible the music and dance traditions of all world cultures. Lotus Music & Dance remains the only institution of its kind in New York City, with master artists from India, Korea, Japan, Indonesia, the Philippines, China, the South Pacific, Middle East, the Mohawk Nation, West Africa, and Spain collectively preserving their traditional arts.
Schedule/Hours 10-15 hrs/week; flexible weekday hours available
Time Frame Unspecified
Description: Lotus Music & Dance seeks a motivated and responsible archival intern to create a detailed inventory of the organization’s video collection. This internship provides an opportunity for a library science student to gain hands-on experience working with the collection of a multi-cultural performing arts organization, with supervision from an experienced archivist. The current project is the first phase of a larger project to preserve and improve access to Lotus Music & Dance’s unique materials documenting dance and music from numerous world cultures.
- Complete inventory of approximately 1,000 video tapes documenting performances and programs over at least three decades.
- The intern will capture technical and content metadata, classify tapes by genre, and determine relationships between tapes.
- The intern will also label tapes and assess their condition, flagging any preservation concerns.
- Other possible duties include assisting Lotus Music & Dance to develop a plan for digitizing tapes, including curation of content and investigation of vendors and costs.
- Intern will be supervised on-site by staff of Lotus Music & Dance, and will receive training and oversight by Dance/USA’s Director of Archiving & Preservation.
How to Apply: http://careers.archivists.org/jobs/11393340